Sometimes the simplest of ingredients can pack the biggest punch when it comes to flavour. This is certainly the case when it comes to a good quality Tomato Sauce. The general rule is the longer the simmering, the more flavoursome the sauce becomes, however there are a few shortcuts if you don’t have 3-4 hours spare or the ripest of tomatoes to peel, slice and quarter.
This tomato sauce is delicious and very easy to make using store cupboard staples that most home cooks will have around their kitchens. You can vary the spaghetti with penne or fusilli if that’s all you’ve got, and you won’t go wrong. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Red Onion (finely chopped)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (crushed)
- ¼ teaspoon Chilli Flakes
- 1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 400g Tin of Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Caster Sugar
- Small handful of fresh Basil Leaves
- 30g Cherry Tomatoes
- Salt & Freshly Ground Pepper
300g Wholewheat Spaghetti (or Linguine)
- Table Salt
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Heat a medium-sized saucepan on a medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onions and fry for 4-5 minutes or until softened.
- Next add the crushed garlic along with the chilli flakes and fry for 2 more minutes.
- Add both vinegars then leave to reduce for 3-4 minutes until the majority of the liquid has disappeared.
- Place the remaining sauce ingredients into the saucepan and season well. Bring the contents to the boil then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Add the saucepan lid and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally before setting aside.
- Whilst the sauce is simmering, place a large saucepan on a medium-high heat, add the pasta and cover with boiling water. Season the water with plenty of table salt. Add the lid and bring to the boil. Cook according to packet instructions.
- Next use a stick blender and carefully blend until the sauce is smooth.
- Drain the pasta and add the sauce, then serve with additional chopped basil, oregano and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.