Sports massage isn’t just for professional athletes. Anyone who likes to work out should get a massage at least once a month. If you are a serious competitor, aim for weekly sessions. According to Pacific College,physical therapy benefits the mind along with the body. It can significantly improve your performance and promote overall health. Origin Massage is a great place in Zurich to get a sports massage.
Here are the top four reasons sports massage deserves a place in your training regimen:
1. It relieves DOMS:Delayed-onset muscle soreness (DOMS) is a common side-effect of vigorous exercise. It’s caused by tiny tears in your muscles. This inflammation can cause excruciating pain 24-48 hours after a hard workout. A sports massage reduces the symptoms by stimulating blood flow, speeding recovery time.
2. It keeps you flexible:Deep massage stimulates blood flow, aids lymphatic drainage, and maintains muscle flexibility. Most people associate sports massage with running and other high-impact sports.
However, it also helps anyone who likes non-aerobic workouts like yoga and weightlifting. Whatever your preferred sport or activity, flexibility will always help you along the road to fitness.
3. It prevents injury:Tense muscles that are exercised on a frequent basis are more prone to injury. Sports massagekeeps muscles in decent shape. A good therapist will also be able to pinpoint any problems early and give advice on proper treatment. Early detection could help you save money on healthcare bills.
4. It’s especially helpful before and after athletic events:Sports massage can loosen your muscles before an event, and help them recover afterwards. However, you should not schedule a treatment within 24 hours prior to the event as the massage may make you sore.
5. It’s relaxing:Mental wellbeing is just as important as physical health. Massage is a great way to de-stress, whether you’re feeling anxious about an upcoming competition or just the daily grind. Why not put aside an afternoon to relax by clearing your schedule for two hours following your appointment?
There’s no denying that a sports massage might feel uncomfortable, more than a Swedish or deep tissue session, especially if you aren’t used to body work. You will have to move around – it isn’t a spa treatment! However, feeling your muscles relax is soothing. Massage should not be painful – always let your therapist know if your muscles start hurting.
Make sure you drink plenty of water prior to your appointment, as this helps muscle fibers stay flexible. Don’t eat for three hours beforehand, because receiving a massage on a full stomach may make you feel ill.
Every client – and massage – is unique so you should look more into it at Massage Sway – Massage. Make sure your therapist is comfortable working with athletes of various abilities before booking a session. They should not only be licensed in massage therapy, but also willing to refer you to other professionals where necessary.
You could ask your workout buddies, personal trainer, healthcare provider, or a member of gym staff to recommend a therapist. If you cannot always book a session with a therapist, try a massage roller stickfor self myofascial release. Your muscles will thank you!
On a mission to bring massage therapy closer to those who want to live a balanced, healthy life, connecting body mind and spirit.