The weekend is a time for rest, relaxation and enjoyment. It is also a time to indulge in good food. One of such foods is American foods. American foods are enjoyed all over the world and have developed a reputation of being comfort food that is enjoyed by many on the weekends.
There are many American foods to try on the weekends, some of which are listed below:
1. Hamburgers: Hamburgers have become a staple of modern food and is enjoyed the world over. Burgers have evolved beyond the classic Pattie, lettuce and tomato recipe.
Sauces and ingredients from all over the world can be added to make your burger truly unique and spice up your weekend.
2. Apple Pie: Apple pie is considered the quintessential American pie and while the classic recipe is the most popular, twists such as green chillis can be added to it.
Apple pie can be enjoyed with a scoop of ice-cream on hot afternoons as the contrast of the warm pie and the cold ice-cream has quickly become a dessert of choice.
- Deep dish pizza. Pizza is actually an Italian dish, but America has created its own spin on it by inventing deep dish pizza.
Deep dish pizza is pizza in which the crust is deliberately stuffed in order to rise high above the base. The base is then garnished with several layers of cheese, tomato sauce, and toppings, forming a ‘dish’ of sorts.
Deep dish pizza is a very filling meal with one single pizza pie filling several people easily.
- Popcorn: Many people don’t know, but popcorn originated in America and has become forever associated with film and movie-going.
If you’ll be watching a movie this weekend then it’s likely you will indulge in this American classic whether alone or with friends.
- Barbecue ribs: People all over the world have been smoking and grilling meat since the beginning of time, but it was America that popularized barbecue ribs and put them on the world map.
Barbecue ribs are the grilled ribs of a cow or pig covered in barbecue sauce.
You might want to prepare the barbecue ribs yourself or visit a restaurant or grill that serves it. Barbecue ribs are traditionally served with French fries and coleslaw.
- Hot dogs: Hot dogs are another food that has been brought to the world stage by America.
Consisting of a hot dog sausage placed in a hot dog bun, hot dogs can be served with a variety of condiments such as ketchup, mustard, relish, caramelized onions and so on.
They can easily be made at home or can be purchased from vendors.
- Peanut butter sandwich: The peanut butter sandwich is one of the most recognizable sandwiches in the world and originated in the US.
The peanut butter sandwich is also one of the most versatile sandwiches in the world. It could be a basic sandwich consisting of a slice of bread with peanut butter spread on it or a more complex one with jelly added. Some recipes even add bananas to the mix.
- Steaks: Steaks are one of the quintessential American foods and the world seems to have caught the steak obsession.
Steaks can be prepared in a variety of ways and with a variety of condiments. There are a variety of places to get steak cuts. You can get them from your local butcher but certain places like the Chicago steak company are known for their quality steaks.
9. Banana split: The banana split is the definition of decadent desserts. A combination of fruit and ice-cream with whipped cream and chocolate sauce, you can’t really go wrong with one.
Most of the ingredients for a banana split are easily available in local supermarkets but many restaurants also sell banana splits.
10. Key lime pie: Key lime pie originated in Florida and has become famous the world over.
The preparation process for the pie is rather simple and it is considered a comfort dessert which makes it perfect for the weekend and also for larger occasions.
America has given the world many amazing foods and there is no better time to heartily indulge that the weekend. Whether pies or barbecue, be sure to indulge this weekend in amazing American food.