It’s not often I have the time these days to write product reviews, however when Tefal offered me the opportunity to use one of their newest and most innovative products, the Optigrill, I couldn’t say no!
Ever since I began cooking I’ve always used various Tefal products and they’ve never let me down. The durability is rarely comparable to other brands and more often than not the quality far outweighs that of their main competition.
So what exactly is the Tefal Optigrill?
Well it’s a form of grill that you can place anywhere on the kitchen counter, with a unique temperature and cooking management system. Various colours indicate where exactly the cooking process is up to which allows you to prepare the rest of your dish with ease.
There are also specific settings for what you’re cooking, for example, sausages, bacon, chicken, fish, steak etc. Each unique setting will cook your meat or fish to exactly the right point.
The Optigrill is so clever it actually understands the various thicknesses of different cuts of meat and adjusts the cooking time accordingly, taking away all of the guesswork for you!
You may turn around and say ‘well I just use the grill from the oven and put a timer on’ – and this was my previous method. My biggest problem was I cannot share the grill setting with the oven one and therefore I have to make the choice between one or the other.
Now I’ve got the best of both worlds!
When the pre-heating of the Optigrill has finished, the colour system will turn Purple and beep, and when the cooking process has finished, it will turn Red and beep. Steaks can be removed at any point during the cooking process depending on your preferences i.e. medium, rare etc. You can determine this based on the colour, it’s that simple.
Basically it takes away the guesswork and basically makes being in the kitchen so much more straight forward.
It also takes up little room which if you’re like me, don’t have infinite space on your kitchen worktop and have to decide what takes priority and what doesn’t. Well this definitely takes priority and has rightfully earned a permanent place. It will make my life so much easier whilst cooking and the simpler you can make your time in the kitchen, the more enjoyable it will be!
Speaking of enjoyable, I thought I’d provide you with a really healthy and very tasty recipe that’s perfect to get you started with your Optigrill.
This ‘Warm Chipotle Chicken Salad’ is all about two elements: the marinade & the dressing. Get these right and this dish will become a favourite I’m sure. It’s perfect for all the family, for those who want to eat healthier and want to retain as much flavour as they can when cooking.
So thank you Tefal for the opportunity to review one of your most innovative products, and to those that want more information about the product, click here to find out more.
- Marinade Ingredients
- 5 tablespoons Chilli Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Sunflower Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Smoked Paprika
2 Chicken Breasts
- Salt & Freshly Ground Pepper
1/2 Cup Red Quinoa
- 8 New Potatoes (halved)
- Small Knob of Butter
The Chipotle Dressing
- ½ teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 6 tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- ¼ cup Runny Honey
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Chipotle Sauce (we used Hellmans)
- 1 Garlic Clove (crushed)
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
Serve with: Mixed Salad Leaves, Cherry Tomatoes & Sliced Cucumber
- First combine all of the marinade ingredients into a large enough bowl and mix well with a spoon.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt & pepper, and make small cuts into the chicken which will allow the marinade to absorb into it.
- Add the seasoned chicken breasts to the marinade, ensure they are well coated on both sides, then leave in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
- Whilst the chicken is marinating you can also make the dressing in advance by combining the dressing ingredients and placing in an air-tight container/bottle (you may have to give this a vigorous shake before serving as the vinegar and oils will separate if left).
- When you're ready to begin, turn the optigrill on from the plug, choose the 'Chicken' setting and press OK. Wait 4-7 minutes and when you hear the buzz sound place both chicken breasts onto the bottom grill plate and close.
- The Optigrill will go through the various stages of cooking and indicate to you where the cooking process is up to based on the colour, when it turns red the chicken will be cooked through and ready (usually 20 minutes depending on thickness).
- (If you don't yet own the Optigrill you can pre-heat an oven grill to 200C and cook for 20 minutes or until cooked through, turning halfway)
- Meanwhile boil the new potatoes and pour the red quinoa into a small saucepan along with 1 cup of water and some additional seasoning. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to the lowest setting. Do not remove the lid during the 20 minutes of simmering.
- Drain the new potatoes when ready and add a knob of butter with some salt & pepper.
- After the chicken is cooked through, cut into strips and place on top of the mixed salad leaves.
- Add the new potatoes, red quinoa, cherry tomatoes & sliced cucumber then serve with a good drizzle of the chipotle dressing.