So before I take the plunge and (hopefully!) complete Tough Mudder on Sunday, I thought I’d create a little reward for myself as a result of the hard work and commitment I’ve put in over the past 3 months!
The recipe is indulgent and delicious, as I’m sure you’ll agree once you’ve tasted it. The fruit compote is really easy to produce and I used a range of berries as they dissolve well in the simmering water. It’s a healthy breakfast recipe with plenty of fruit included!
I decided to buy my own waffles which were already cooked and only needed heating up, however you can make your own using a waffle maker. There are some really great ones out there!
As always let me know your thoughts on the recipe and feel free to share your waffle creations with me!
- Mixed Berry Compote
- 100g Raspberries
- 100g Strawberries (halved)
- 100g Blackberries
- 30 Caster Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Water
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
15g Pistachios (de-shelled)
- 2 tablespoons Nutella
4 Ready-to-eat Waffles
- 1 Kiwi (cut into chunks)
- Place the various berries into a small heavy-based saucepan on a medium-high heat.
- Add the sugar, water and vanilla extract, then simmer for 15-20 minutes until the compote has thickened, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Using a pestle & mortar, or the top of a rolling pin and finely crush the pistachios and set-aside.
- Place the nutella into the microwave for 10-20 seconds until melted.
- Now microwave the waffles for 20-30 seconds or you can have them cold if you prefer
- Add the compote into a jug for easy pouring over the waffles.
- Assemble the waffles on warm plates and add the compote, crushed pistachios, melted nutella and kiwi chunks, then serve.