Happy Easter everybody! Hope you’ve been enjoying some time off over the Easter break and had the opportunity to reflect, spend time with family and perhaps re-assess your fitness journey for the year.
As I mentioned when I posted this photo to my Instagram yesterday, the chicken itself has to be one of the tastiest I’ve had the pleasure of trying.
Once all of the marinade ingredients are left, the flavour will get right through to the chicken and the rest is pretty straightforward too.
I paired the chicken with some stir-fry vegetables for some added crunch.
Also chicken legs are generally much cheaper than breasts and cook much better over a longer period which means they’re less likely to dry out and more likely to just fall off the bone!
Anyway once again Happy Easter to all of you and I hope you enjoy the chicken dish (hot or cold, it tastes great!).
- Marinade Ingredients
- 100ml Dark Soy
- 100ml Cold Water
- 75ml Rice Vinegar
- 5 tablespoons Palm Sugar
- 7 Garlic Cloves (peeled & squashed)
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1kg Chicken Pieces (legs and/or thighs skin-on with bone)
- 1 Celery Stick (cut into julienne)
- 1 Carrot (cut into julienne)
- 1 Red Pepper (cut into julienne)
- ½ Onion (sliced)
- Large Handful of Spinach Leaves
- 1 Garlic Clove (crushed)
- 1 Red Chilli (diced)
- Sesame Seeds
- Fresh Coriander (chopped)
Serve with Rice
- In a large bowl add the marinade ingredients along with the chicken pieces and leave to one-side for up to an hour (or longer if you have time).
- Once the marinading time is up, heat a large casserole dish (or another large pan with lid) on a medium-high heat.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and brown on all sides for 10 minutes or until ready.
- Now add the marinade to the pan and simmer with the lid on for 20 minutes.
- When the time is up remove the lid and turn the chicken, then simmer for a further 20 minutes (still with the lid off - this would be a good time to begin cooking the rice).
- With approximately 15 minutes left heat another frying pan on a medium-high heat along with enough sesame oil.
- Once hot add the stir-fry vegetables (except the spinach, garlic and chilli) and cook until softened.
- With 5 minutes left add the spinach, garlic and chilli as well as the fresh coriander.
- Add the sesame seeds to the chicken pieces then serve with the rice.