inspired by Nicole Barnard @vege_fitness_freak
- For The Mixed Mash
- 2 Large Sweet Potatoes (peeled and sliced thinly)
- 2 Large White Potatoes (peeled and sliced thinly)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Vegan Butter
- 2 tablespoons Nutritional Flakes
- 100ml Unsweetened Non-Dairy Milk
- 4 'Chorizo-style' Vegan Sausages (cut into chunks)
- 1 Red Pepper (sliced)
- 100g Chestnut Mushrooms (chopped)
- 1 White Onion (finely chopped)
3 Garlic Cloves (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Ground Coriander
- Salt & Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Purée
- 400g Tin of Chopped Tomatoes
- 400g Tin of Butter Beans (drained)
- 400ml Vegetable Stock
- Boil the kettle and add the potatoes to a large enough saucepan. Pour enough boiling water over the potatoes then add the salt. Bring the potatoes to a gentle boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat a large casserole pan on a medium-high heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil. Once hot enough add the sausage chunks, peppers, onions and mushrooms then cook for 8-10 minutes until softened.
- Next add the crushed garlic along with the smoked paprika, ground coriander and seasoning. Mix well before adding the tomato purée, chopped tomatoes, butter beans and stock. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are ready, drain them and return them to the same saucepan. Add the vegan butter, nutritional flakes and non-dairy milk. Mash well until no lumps appear, then taste and add additional salt if required. Serve with the stew.