We work extremely hard with our fitness and deserve the occasional indulgence, therefore when you do decide to try out a dessert in a restaurant or at home, you want it to live up to the calories that it comes with!
This is that dessert. The richness of white chocolate accompanied by the vanilla-infused cream custard perfectly compliments the slight tartness of the raspberries. It creates a perfect balance.
Don’t be put off by the occasional treat, if you work hard on your diet, lifestyle and fitness on a regular basis and you’re at (or nearly at) your goal, having a dessert that is a little decadent will actually help keep you on track.
500ml Double Cream
1/2 Vanilla Pod
4 Egg Yolks (Large Eggs)
1 Bay Leaf
50g Caster Sugar
150g White Chocolate
Punnet of Raspberries
2 tbsp x Golden Caster Sugar
- Place the cream into a saucepan along with the bay leaf and vanilla pod. When the cream starts to simmer, remove from the heat and leave to infuse for an hour. Stir occasionally to avoid a skin.
- Meanwhile add the egg yolks into a large bowl, add the caster sugar and whisk a little. Melt the white chocolate and leave to cool.
- Pre-heat the oven to 140C. Remove the bay leaf from the infused cream, as well as the vanilla pod. Halve the vanilla pod and add the seeds to the cream.
- Add the melted chocolate to the egg mixture, along with the infused cream and pour into a jug.
- Pour the mixture into 3 ramekins and place in a roasting tin with enough boiled water to cover the ramekins halfway up. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes. The custard will be cooked when there is only a slight wobble in the middle of the mixture.
- Remove the ramekins from the tin and, once cooled, place in the refrigerator until ready.
- To make the caramel layer, evenly sprinkle the golden caster sugar across the top of the creme brûlée and, if using a blowtorch, carefully move the flame so that the sugar caramelises and goes golden. If you don’t have a blowtorch, heat the grill to the highest setting and once fully pre-heated, place the ramekin underneath it for 1-2 minutes.