I absolutely adore stir-fry dishes and am constantly on the look-out for different variations of the type of dishes you can cook fresh for yourself, as opposed to ordering from a local takeaway.
This Hot & Sour Crispy Chicken recipe really manages to achieve that. The chicken is melt-in-your-mouth as a result of the cooking method used.
The sauce that accompanies the dish can be added to beef, fish or vegetarian alternatives, but in this case I’ve stuck with the chicken as it’s my personal favourite.
Serve with rice or egg noodles and you won’t go wrong, plus if you prepare everything in advance, the dish can be on the table within 15 minutes of cooking. Enjoy it!
- 400g Boneless Chicken Thighs (sliced thinly)
- Golden Breadcrumbs
- Salt & Freshly Ground Pepper
For the Hot & Sour Sauce
- 4 tablespoons Dark Soy Sauce
- 4 tablespoons Light Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoon Tomato Pureé
- 4 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Golden Caster Sugar
- 2 teaspoon Cornflour (dissolved in 4 tablespoons Water)
1/2 Red Onion (sliced)
- ½ Red Pepper (sliced)
- Cherry Tomatoes (halved)
- 3cm Fresh Root Ginger (finely chopped)
- Olive Oil
- 2 Egg Noodle Nests
- 4-5 Broccoli Florets (halved)
- Table Salt
- Prepare the chicken by pouring the breadcrumbs into a small bowl and coat each chicken piece thoroughly, then set-aside on a large enough plate.
- Next combine all the sauce ingredients into a small bowl and mix well with a fork, again set-aside for now.
- Heat a large frying pan on the hob on a medium-high heat and add some olive oil. Once hot enough add the vegetables, turning regularly, cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat two more hob rings on a medium-high setting. Fill the kettle and boil the water.
- To one large saucepan add 2 centimetres of the sunflower oil and after 4-5 minutes carefully add the chicken piece by piece and cook for 8-10 minutes until crispy and cooked through. Once the time is up, transfer the contents to kitchen paper to remove the excess grease, then add to the frying pan.
- To another medium-sized saucepan add the egg noodle nests and broccoli florets, along with a tablespoon of the table salt. Add the boiling water and cook for 6 minutes. Once the time is up, drain with a colander and transfer the contents to the frying pan.
- Finally add the hot and sour sauce, thoroughly mix and then serve.