(Source: Tesco Magazine)
Normally I stick to well-established cook books when I’m choosing recipes, but thought ‘why not’ as I was sat on my sofa flicking through the Tesco magazine I picked up. The dish was one of two pages I tore out and thought I’d give a go. After all, if you’ve not made (or tasted) a dish before, it can be an exciting experience, especially after a long day at work!
You certainly don’t have to be an expert in the kitchen to make this. It really is quite straight forward, and even in a small kitchen like mine, not much can go wrong (well, hopefully not!). This is the ‘classic’ version however it can easily be adapted i.e. Chorizo, Shellfish etc can be added.
4x tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
440g Skinless Chicken Thighs (chopped into small pieces)
900ml Chicken Stock
1x Large Onion (finely chopped)
3x Garlic Cloves (crushed)
227g Chopped Tomatoes (Tin)
30g Flat-Leaf Parsley (leaves chopped and half the stalks reserved)
1x tsp Paprika
250g Spanish Paella Rice
1x 285g Jar Roasted Peppers (drained & rinsed)
1x Lemon (cut into wedges)
1) Heat half the oil in a wide frying pan over a medium-high heat.
2) Season the chicken with salt and pepper and brown until golden, remove and set aside.
3) Fry the onion in the remaining oil until soft.
4) Add the garlic, tomatoes, parsley stalks and paprika and fry for 2 minutes
5) Stir in the rice and season
6) Add the stock and bring to the boil
7) Reduce to a simmer and leave rice to cook, uncovered (without stirring) for 10 minutes
8) Spread the chicken pieces evenly over the rice, don’t stir them in but press them under the stock
9) Scatter over the peppers and gently shake the pan and simmer for 10 minutes or until the stock has absorbed and the chicken is cooked through
10) Turn off the heat, cover tightly with foil and rest for 5 minutes
11) Serve with chopped parsley, squeeze of lemon and the remaining lemon wedges