Usually I don’t mind the working week but for whatever reason this week seems to have really dragged itself out. Possibly because I’m currently injured which means I have to put training on the back-foot, at least until Monday (sad face).
That aside, it has given me more time to work on today’s recipe which I’ve been wanting to publish as soon as I’d finished planning it out, but of course these things can’t be rushed!
As you’ll see from the rather colourful photograph, this Chicken, Avocado & Pearl Barley One-Pot is full of nutritional goodness. The great thing about this dish is the importance of all the ingredients that work so well together, from the cumin-paprika seasoned chicken right through to the sweetness of the piccolo tomatoes and sweetcorn.
Again I’ve teamed up with GoNutrition.com for their chicken because of it’s quality, and the better the ingredients, the better the taste.
Pearl Barley is a fantastic grain to use whilst cooking. I picked up a huge bag from the local supermarket for 55p! Learning to cook has definitely saved me a small fortune over the last 3 years!
Like Rice or Quinoa, Pearl Barley is immersed in some form of liquid such as hot water or stock in this case. The only difference is the length of time it takes to cook, with Pearl Barley usually around 40 minutes.
You’ll know when it’s cooked as it should be soft and slightly chewy.
I’m glad I took the time to plan and make this meal. Everything is cooked in the same casserole dish or large frying pan and if you have leftovers, simply wait for everything to cool down then place into large enough containers and refrigerate for up to three days for your lunches or evening meals.
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 GoNutrition Chicken Breasts (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Ground Cumin
- Salt & Freshly Ground Pepper
Garlic (finely chopped)
- 500ml Chicken Stock
- 100g Pearl Barley
- 75g Fresh or Frozen Sweetcorn
- 1 Carrot (cut into small chunks or julienne)
- 6 Roasted Peppers (sliced)
Handful of Cherry Tomatoes (halved)
- Avocado (peeled & cut into chunks)
- ½ Lemon (juice of)
- Handful of Fresh Mint (chopped)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil into a large casserole dish on a medium-high heat.
- Whilst the oil is heating up mix the paprika, cumin, salt & freshly ground pepper with the chicken.
- Once the oil is hot add the sliced chicken to the casserole dish and fry for 12-15 minutes or until cooked, then set-aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and lower the heat to medium, then add the garlic and fry for 2 minutes before the garlic starts to brown.
- Add the chicken stock along with the pearl barley, bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- After the 20 minutes add the sweetcorn, carrot & roasted peppers and continue to simmer for a further 15 minutes. If the liquid is drying out add more stock or boiling water.
- Once the time is up, remove the pan from the heat and return the chicken along with the tomatoes, avocado, lemon juice and mint. Serve right away.
Disclaimer – GoNutrition provide me with credit each month so that I can bring exciting new recipes using their quality ingredients and share them with you guys!