The stunning effects of CBD on the human body aren’t hidden anymore. No matter what authorities say about the therapeutic qualities of CBD, this miraculous compound has healed people from all over the world. Perhaps, this is the reason why the demand for CBD oil and other products is rising high in the health and wellness industry with each passing day. Some of the health conditions that people reckon are solved by a regular consumption of CBD oil include anxiety, depression, inflammation, diabetes, epilepsy, etc. Now the question is whether CBD oil can help in the treatment of kidney disease?
Well, the number of Americans dying from kidney problems every year is estimated to be 31 million, or more. This makes it the 9th most common cause of deaths in the US. Doctors often prescribed opiate pain-killers to control the pain but they don’t guarantee a full-fledged solution to the problem. This is where CBD oil enters with its potentiality as an alternative medical treatment for kidney disease. If you are willing to learn more about the same, then keep reading.
What is kidney disease?
Kidney disease can be both acute or chronic in nature. Kidneys usually function to clear away the waste from the body and filter the blood they receive from a large network of renal arteries. When the kidneys cannot excrete the unwanted waste, perhaps this is where the problem starts. The entire process is basically to maintain a balance in the blood. This also means that kidneys contribute in achieving the homeostasis in the body by releasing hormones, such as renin and calcitriol.
Any problem in your kidneys might spread all through the body since toxic compounds can build up in the bloodstream due to lack of kidney function. Some of the potential causes of kidney disease include high blood pressure, heart failure, anaemia, bleeding disorders, skin problems, and in some cases, death.
Ways in which CBD oil can help in kidney disease
Popularly known as CBD, a cannabis compound containing nil or less than 0.3% of THC, which is responsible for producing the ‘high’ in the body. Since CBD doesn’t create any high, it is also a non-controlled substance (as per the 2018 Farm Bill). Thus, it is also legal in all the 50 states of the US.
Although there is very limited research on this topic, there is still evidence that CBD may be able to help in protecting the kidneys from any damage or at least slow down the process. This study revealed that kidneys have both CB1 and CB2 receptors, which play an important role in the functioning of the endocannabinoid system. It was concluded that these receptors help in protecting the organ from potential damage.
The following are the 5 ways which help CBD protect the kidneys from any disease
- CBD protects from renal injury: In a 2017 study done in the University of Tennessee Health Science Centre revealed that CBD might help in protecting the renal tissue from any kind of injury, depending on the type and stage of the renal injury.
- CBD oil helps fight Diabetic Nephropathy: It is a condition where a chronic loss of renal function results in the development of diabetes mellitus (DM). It also includes a drop in glomerular filtration value, which sometimes results in the fatal end-stage kidney disease.
As per a 2018 review, done in the University of Turin concluded that the CBD binds to the endocannabinoid system of the body, which might minimize the chances of kidney damage and even protect the organ from future failure.
1. CBD oil lowers the risk of chronic kidney disease: The bad thing about chronic kidney disease is that the symptoms might take months or even years to show up. However, loss of appetite is a common symptom of the same. In 2011, a study done by the University of Alberta revealed that CBD has the potential of relieving kidneys from chronic kidney disease. The results concluded that the CBD can help in slowing the progression and management of renal malfunction.
2. CBD oil helps in prevention of Renal Reperfusion Injury: RRI is a condition when the restored blood supply to the renal tissue causes damage, usually followed by an inadequate flow of blood. Inflammation plays a key role in releasing the toxic radicals in the body when a person suffers from this condition. In a 2015 review published by the Universidade do Extremo Sul Catarinense revealed that CBD prevented renal injury during the reperfusion by lowering the levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines and reducing oxidative stress, since CBD is also a powerful antioxidant.
3. CBD oil reduces Drug-Induced Nephrotoxicity: For those who don’t know, nephrotoxicity is the presence of toxins in the renal tissue. These toxins might affect the normal functioning of the kidneys. A 2009 study by the Zhejiang University contended that CBD oil may help in reducing cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity. This is done by reducing the inflammation after CBD’s interaction with the endocannabinoid system.
Thus, it can be concluded that CBD products like Nuleaf Naturals might prove to be a potential treatment for different kidney diseases.
CBD is an absolutely safe compound to consume. It is natural and also available in abundance. Being a natural product also means that CBD doesn’t have any known side-effects. Also, make sure that CBD dosage you are taking is ideal for your problem. It is recommended to start with a minimum dose and increase the same with time, until you start noticing positive changes in your body. Usually, kidney diseases require higher dosage in order to produce effects. However, it is still advised to consult your doctor before starting your CBD course for your kidney problem, especially if you are on a prescribed medication.